After years in the wilderness, Gretna football in midst of r

After years in the wilderness, Gretna football in midst of r

Postautor: Angel92 » 8 paź 2017, o 05:10

GRETNA — To appreciate the excitement floating http://www.0750xsaf.com/david-decastro-jersey-c-1_71.html around Hawks Country, one has to understand just how dismal the last few seasons were.
A one-win year might be explained by a changing of the guard, new players and different coaching philosophies.
A 5-6 season might get fans interested again, but all that amounted to was a first-round playoff loss.
Follow that with a 3-7 finish and well, people start to write you off as a has-been, as a program that has tanked and fallen from the high regards in which it was once held.
But after three years in a wilderness, Gretna is back.
The Hawks are off to a sterling 6-0 start. They haven’t accomplished that feat since 2008, when they won their second straight state title and fourth in a six-year span.
Suddenly, nobody doubts Gretna anymore. They fear the football revival.
Senior nose guard Luke Davis has noticed several differences in his third varsity season.
“A whole lot more respect,” he said after Monday’s practice.
They’ve won close games this year — three by single digits — and celebrated blowout-wins, too. Last week, the Hawks handed Altavista a 39-0 loss and that was one week after a 60-14 bludgeoning of Chatham.
“Any time you’re winning, you’re going to have more of a following, you’re going to get more attention from the fans, from the news, from everyone,” Gretna head coach Cole Simpson said.
Simpson is in his fourth year as GHS coach. He became an assistant in 2010, a year the Hawks went 12-2. The next year, they won a state title, finishing 13-2 and claiming their fifth ring in under a decade, a staggering feat for any high school program.
‘Back to like it used to be’
One game has always stood out above the others: The battle against William Campbell. Fans once packed into either stadium to see two of Virginia’s best go at it.
Old times are here again. Gretna and William Campbell (5-0) play Friday night in a game that hasn’t generated this much buzz since the mid-2000s. That both teams are undefeated only adds to the long-standing mystique of a rivalry that once featured players like Cedric Peerman, Vic Hall, Charles Haley and Nick Miller.
And Gretna, which has lost three straight in the series, is ready for the challenge.
“If we play our best, there’s nobody that can beat us,” Hawks wide receiver Dajon Hicks said.
Hicks is tearing up the turf. He has 21 catches for http://www.cmslamp.com/dermontti-dawson-jersey-c-2_41.html a team-high 531 receiving yards and has had an almost preternatural connection with quarterback Tabron Mabins (699 passing yards).
“It’s different from last year,” Hicks said of his second varsity season. “I think it’s because we’re way more focused. Last year, we were playing around in practice but this year we’re way more serious. We’re taking the games serious. We’re not getting in trouble in school.”
Like some other players, Hicks doesn’t know much about the history of the rivalry.
But Davis, the nose guard, does. He remembers the days of Nick Miller and Theo Miller, who were integral parts of Gretna’s 2008 and 2011 state titles.
“I got to watch them play when I was little,” said Davis, who has been playing football since he was 4 years old. “Now I’m here playing where they played.”
Friday, Simpson will go against former William Campbell standout and current coach Danny Broggin for the second straight year.
“It goes back a long way,” Simpson said, “and we’re excited that it’s back to like it used to be.”
Simpson has waited for this group to rise through the ranks. That includes running back Jaylan Myers (a team-high 692 rushing yards).
“The most exciting thing,” the coach said, “is that we’ve gotten a little bit better every week. That’s the key. When I was here on the teams that went to the championship games, they’d improve a little bit every week, all the way through the regular season even all the way through the playoffs. So far, that’s what’s happened with this team.”
A big deal every year
There have been plenty of memorable Gretna-Campbell games over the years. Former Generals coach Brad Bradley, now at Heritage, recalled games from 2004 and 2005, when the stands were packed by the time both teams began their warm-ups.
“You’re gonna get their best game no matter what,” Bradley said about Gretna. “We always knew that and we respected that. It was a http://www.steelersprosale.com/cody-wallace-jerseys-c-1_7.html great rivalry but it was a friendly rivalry.”
And it’s one Gretna once owned, taking nine of 11 of the meetings from 2003 through ’13.
“No matter the records of the teams, Gretna and William Campbell is a big deal every year,” Simpson said. “It has been for a long time and hopefully it always will be.”
The coach recalled 2012, when the Hawks fell behind early before claiming a 34-18 victory.
That rivalry is Gretna football in a microcosm. There are expectations here for this program, which once reeled off 38 straight wins.
Current players don’t remember those days, either. Football, though, is still bred into them.
“We never give up,” left guard Quinton Tucker said. “We have a lot of heart.”
Angel92

Re: After years in the wilderness, Gretna football in midst

Postautor: evahe » 9 paź 2017, o 04:08

That is Nike UK Sale because of my problem, my relationship with her a little worse) After the meeting, she came back: how do you Adidas Ultra Boost know not you? Yeah, how do i know not me? The The words were so warm and warm for a long time Scarpe Nike Air Max 2017 Scontate and a long time. 'Juvenile camp' where there is a line, said: life may be nike free run pas cher constantly put down, but sadly, I did not good to say goodbye to them. Perhaps some words and some things make her unhappy, until graduation I have not seen her again. Today, for four years. Freshman try to write a letter to her, the results can now occasionally contact, the holidays will send a message greetings. Miss H in my words, like a dark sky more than a moon, always exist, but only occasionally think of it. In fact, Miss H is not how beautiful, and occasionally a little dirty as I dive into her classroom found her desk and she sometimes dress. But what about it! It is true that there are many women in this world, and some are very beautiful, but who can evoke my mind at first erotic memory?Miss H Miss her for the time being Miss H it I wish you always happy and happy. Impression of the early arrival of light blue jeans and a peacock feathers like a green shirt, shoulders on the forgotten a color of the package, was red leather band tied with the horsetail around the pace of swing, due to myopia, can only see so many. But at that time, in my sight only one of her like a slow motion to play like that, other people are black and white. Since then, Miss H is like a stone Cheap Air Max 90 Shoes into my heart lake, thrown bursts of ripples, this pan is a few years. High school every morning before going to the playground to run two laps and then do the radio gymnastics. Is that time to find every time she will be sitting in the direction of their class on the steps of the book, and so on after she ran back to do gymnastics. So I guess it is probably her body can not run the sake of it This will have the opportunity to open. If you play high school and play basketball can also be able to know many people, we have 28 classes in that grade, but every class of boys I know several, in addition to the same as the hermit that there is no knowledge of the world of fireworks 6 classes. And later through the multi-inquire finally know her name, phone and classroom seats (do not underestimate the seat, I secretly sent a few things to her). But because it was a boarding school, a week to go back home, fighting for a long time did not use the home to take the phone, can not contact her at any time, so the beginning of every Saturday night with a text message. I do not know how long this lasted! Until one time and my classmates did not go home all night, and so the next day to go back to see a message she sent: you now me. Was happy, because the five words I am happy for a long time, of course, there will be a more happy later words. During school, if you like a person, at least your classmates they will know. There are several times running through her time, our class boys will shout my name, although I am very angry on the surface, of course, that is installed. And even once I do not know who from the coax, was a group of people pulled to their class to declare, the results of the mighty crowd to scare her away. (I even remember the way she ran away, the two arms in the chest shaking, really do not know how to run so fast. I do not know is not your favorite girls will not eat well (when you like to eat instant noodles, snacks or do not eat), like to stay up all night, at least Miss H is like this. For which I have advised her, although I know no use, Nike Air Max 90 Premium I am very difficult to change her life with a few Cheap Nike Air Max 90 shoes words, but still has been insisting. There are times to find a person who often with her, I hope she can take her to the cafeteria or outside to eat dinner, do not always eat instant noodles. I can only do so for this thing. At that time saw the film called 'adolescence', Wang Xiaofei every time you see Cheng Yu rain will send her chaussures de course Nike a thousand paper cranes, inspired Nike Roshe Run me decided to send her every day, so that every day to meet every day to say hello.
evahe

Wróć do Rozwój mowy