DETROIT - Nicklas Lidstrom was the last person to speak at h

DETROIT - Nicklas Lidstrom was the last person to speak at h

Postautor: jokergreen0220 » 23 lis 2017, o 08:50

DETROIT - Nicklas Lidstrom was the last person to speak at his Detroit Red Wings jersey-retirement ceremony. Duane Kuiper Jersey . He might have spoken the least while perhaps saying the most, fittingly for a player who was subtly spectacular on the ice. Lidstrom was honoured Thursday night before Detroit hosted the Colorado Avalanche. A red banner — with his last name and number in white — was raised to the rafters. "Its not like winning a trophy for a successful season or playoff; its not winning an individual trophy," he said on a puck-shaped podium. "This is something different. This is all about being a Detroit Red Wing." The storied franchise previously retired six jerseys: Gordie Howes No. 9, Steve Yzermans No. 19, Ted Lindsays No. 7, Terry Sawchuks No. 1, Alex Delvecchios No. 10 and Sid Abels No. 12. But Lidstrom is the first defenceman to have his jersey retired by the Red Wings. Detroit drafted the Swede in the third round and between 1991 and 2012 he played in the most games (1,564) by someone who was on only one NHL team. "For the first couple of years, he didnt seem that great, but then you began to appreciate him," Delvecchio said. Lidstrom, with sound positioning and a strong shot, helped the Red Wings win four of their 11 Stanley Cups between 1997 and 2008. He won seven Norris Trophies as the NHLs best defenceman and trailed only Bobby Orrs record total of eight. "As much as we didnt like him when we were playing against each other, I had tons of respect for him," Colorado coach and former NHL goaltending great Patrick Roy said. Lidstrom became the first European-born captain to win a Stanley Cup in 2008, six years after being the first from Europe to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as the leagues post-season MVP. With his signature slap shot, he scored the gold-medal winning goal for Sweden against Finland at the 2006 Olympics. In a video tribute shown during a first-period timeout, Yzerman said Lidstrom was one of the games all-time greats. "You made our jobs so much easier," Yzerman said. Lidstrom retired after the 2011-12 season — his 20th with the Red Wings. He refused to settle for being merely a good defenceman in the league and turned down a chance to make about $6 million with a third straight one-year contract. "No regrets, but that doesnt mean I dont miss it," he said. "I miss playing, but I never had any urge to get back to being on the ice and playing in a game." With his wife and their four hockey-playing boys, he is living back home in Sweden and enjoying a simple life. "Whats been so relaxing about it is that I get weekends off," Lidstrom said. "I never had any weekends off that I can remember since I was a teenager." When Lidstrom was 21 and going into his first NHL season, he was asked what number he wanted to wear if he made the team. Not knowing much about the Red Wings other than Yzerman being their captain, Lidstrom asked for No. 9 — a number that had been retired for nearly 20 years to honour Howe. "Kid, that just aint going to happen," Lidstrom recalled being told. Lidstrom was later given a winged-wheel jersey with another single digit. "No. 5 was handed to me," he said with a grin. Custom San Francisco Giants Jerseys . About seven hours before facing Washington in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference second round series, team officials said the oft-injured Bynum would miss the rest of the playoffs and would not even be with the team for the rest of the post-season. Matt Cain Jersey .A caravan greeted the former Boston Red Sox pitcher at the airport and took him to a public park in Santo Domingo, where a crowd lined a 19-mile stretch of highway to catch a glimpse of him.Once at the park, Martinez went on stage accompanied by players David Ortiz and Robinson Cano as merengue music played and fireworks lit up the sky. http://www.baseballsfgiantsshop.com/authentic-marco-scutaro-giants-jersey/ . Heather, the first Gaiter to win the award, set a Canadian Inter-university Sport record with 3,132 passing yards in eight league games, an average of 391.5 yards per game. That beat the mark of 3,047 set only one week earlier by Westerns Will Finch, a Hec Crighton finalist.NEW ORLEANS - Shortly after hoisting his second Slam Dunk trophy, this one hell have to share, Terrence Ross was stunned to hear that the contests format change was not especially well received. "It was one of the best shows ever," said the Raptors guard, disagreeing with the critics. "Its really what people wanted to see. You couldnt see those dunks without three players on the court so it worked out for the best I think." The Slam Dunk Contest - the pride and joy of All-Star Saturday Night - adopted a team concept this year, pitting the three participants from the East against the Wests trio in a two-round showcase. It was, for all intents and purposes, a bust. In the final round, a head-to-head session, the team from the East - consisting of Ross, John Wall and Paul George - defeated the West in a clean sweep. It was an unorthodox victory for Ross, who only threw down one dunk, outside of the initial freestyle round. "Hey, a wins a win," the sophomore said, elated after the competition came to an end, not unlike most in attendance and watching from home. "Im gonna take it either way. Ive never lost a dunk contest at this point so Im happy." The real champion, assuming anyone can really be considered a winner after that performance, was John Wall, who was awarded the fan vote for Dunker of the Night. Wall capped off an anticlimactic evening with the only real jaw-dropping dunk, leaping over Wizards mascot G-Man, taking the ball out of his hands and completing a two-hand reverse jam to seal the Easts victory. Off the top, each team had 90 seconds to work together and complete as many dunks as they could. The team dynamic, allowed the dunkers to collaborate and be creative in their attempts. Ross and the East took advantage, while the West - with Damian Lillard, Harrison Barnes and Ben McLemore - ate up nearly a third of their allotted time before converting a notable slam. To call it organized chaos would be putting it mildly. Mostly, it was a disjointed mess with an occasional highlight, a couple from Ross, who put down a reverse to open the contest. The battle round had promise but lacked any semblance of rhythm or flow, as actual dunks were few and far between. Just as it started to come around, it ended abruptly. Lillard led off the proceedings - competing in his third event of the night - facing Ross, who brought along a friend and colleeague for assistance. Matt Moore Jersey. With last years trophy in hand, Raptors global ambassador Drake accompanied Ross on the floor to the tune of Started from the Bottom. Ross, wearing a boxing robe as he entered, would miss his first two attempts before eventually taking the ball from Drake, putting it through his legs and throwing it down with the opposite hand. As it turns out, Drake was a late substitution for Ross teammate and original assistant. "At first I knew the dunk I wanted to do and then I was like, DeMar (DeRozan) is going to do it," said the Raptors sophomore. "And then I was like, let me ask Drake because that would be a little better fit with him being the global ambassador, so I said that might work. I had fun with it, he was willing to help in any way he could." In the end, Ross was happy with the format change and embraced the chance to team up rather than go at it alone. "We got to throw off the shot clock, the backboard, bounce it off the ground," he said. "It was fun, everybody loved it." Ross maintained the team concept allows participants to be more creative, giving each of them a greater opportunity to come up and execute something new. For that reason, he believes the format should be here to stay. "It was fun, just coming up with certain things. I was trying to see if we could throw it off the jumbotron and see if we could do something like that but they said that would probably break it." Format changes encapsulated the entire night, certainly not what the league was going for. The Skills Challenge also had participants competing in teams for the first time. DeRozan - who was paired with Bucks rookie Giannis Antetokounmpo - more than held his own, sinking the chest pass on his first attempts and nailing the jump shot from the top of the key in two tries. His partner needed three tries to complete the pass and as a result, they were eliminated in the opening round, bested by Michael Carter-Williams and Victor Oladipo by 1.7 seconds. That pair would go on to lose to Lillard and Trey Burke by a tenth of a second in the finals. Former Raptor Marco Belinelli, the eventual winner of the Three-Point Contest, would not have made it past the first round if not for a new twist which allowed for one entire rack filled with money balls. He went on to defeat Wizards guard Bradley Beal in a tie-breaking round. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '
jokergreen0220

Wróć do Rozwój mowy