The numbers speak for themselves

Odpowiada ekspert wydawnictwa Harmonia

The numbers speak for themselves

Postautor: elaine95 » 11 lut 2019, o 07:52

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Washington Nationals turned in one of their best performances on the day the meaningful portion of their season ended.Rookie Austin Voth and four relievers combined on a one-hitter http://www.bluejaysfanproshop.com/authentic-george-bell-jersey , and the Nationals beat the New York Mets 6-0 on Saturday, hours after they were eliminated from playoff contention.“It stings,” manager Dave Martinez said. “But we’ve still got seven more games. … These guys don’t quit. They came out ready to play today.”Matt Wieters and Trea Turner homered for Washington, and Bryce Harper added an RBI double.The Nationals’ loss Friday night, coupled with the Atlanta Braves’ win, knocked them out of the NL East race. Then, shortly after Saturday’s game began, the St. Louis Cardinals beat the San Francisco Giants on a 10th-inning homer, ending Washington’s slim wild card hopes.“It’s something where we felt like we had the talent in this clubhouse and we still feel like we have the talent in this clubhouse,” Wieters said. “We just didn’t play well enough and that’s why this game’s played on the field and not in the papers and that’s what’s great about it.”Favored to win a third straight division title, the Nationals slid into third place on June 22 and remained there.Ownership stood pat at the July trade deadline, and the team responded by winning six of seven games. However, a four-game losing streak soon had the Nationals nine games out of first place in mid-August, and the team unloaded players including Daniel Murphy and Matt Adams.The team dealt with injuries to pitchers Stephen Strasburg and Sean Doolittle, as well as Adam Eaton Dave Winfield Jersey , Murphy and Ryan Zimmerman, but even when healthy, Washington was unable to put together an extended winning stretch. The Nationals are 78-77 with seven games remaining after going 97-65 a year ago.“I think all of us in here would sit here and tell you we came here every day and did everything we could to try and win. At least I did. Because of that I can go home and be at peace with it,” Zimmerman said. “Obviously, it’s frustrating. You want to come out and win every year and have a chance to go into the playoffs.”Voth (1-1), making his second major league start, allowed only an infield single to Michael Conforto leading off the fourth inning. Voth struck out five with two walks in five innings.“He kept us off balance,” Mets manager Mickey Callaway said. “He had a good curveball I thought. He was able to throw it for strikes … and then he got it down when he needed to, and his fastball command was pretty good.”Even with Saturday’s win, the Nationals will lose the season series to the fourth-place Mets.Turner’s 18th homer of the season, a two-run shot, put Washington ahead in the third, and Wieters added a three-run homer off reliever Jerry Blevins in the sixth.New York’s Corey Oswalt (3-3) allowed two runs over five innings.Matt Grace, Justin Miller, Jimmy Cordero and Austen Williams each worked an inning for Washington in relief of Voth.Harper drew his 125th walk of the season Jack Morris Jersey , a career high and a Nationals record.STREAKINGWashington’s Anthony Rendon extended his on-base streak to 30 games with a sixth-inning double, and Turner extended his on-base streak to 22 games with a first-inning double.TRAINER’S ROOMMets: 2B Jeff McNeil was given the day off.Nationals: OF Eaton (sore and stiff left knee) was out of the starting lineup for the fifth time in six games.UP NEXTLHP Steven Matz (5-11, 4.18 ERA) makes his sixth start of the season against the Nationals, who will start RHP Erick Fedde (2-3, 5.02) in the series finale. Two Cy Young Award frontrunners will meet for the second time in less than a week Tuesday night in Philadelphia.Aaron Nola will square off against Max Scherzer as the Philadelphia Phillies host the Washington Nationals in the second contest of a three-game set at Citizens Bank Park. Washington was a 5-3 winner Monday night in the series opener, which pushed Philadelphia (70-61) 3 1/2 games behind the Atlanta Braves in the National League East. Article continues below ...Nola (15-3, 2.13 ERA) and Scherzer (16-6, 2.13) did not disappoint in their meeting last week. But Nola got the best of the two-time defending NL Cy Young winner, improving to 3-0 versus Washington this season.Nola threw eight scoreless innings and had nine strikeouts in the Phillies’ 2-0 win. Nola allowed five hits and one walk in the outing, which marked the 15th time in 26 starts that he gave up one earned run or fewer.The start was accentuated by an eighth-inning strikeout of Bryce Harper, the last batter Nola faced. His manager made a case for Nola as the league’s top pitcher after the game.“It’s tough to account for three pitches, and I think part of that is why Aaron Nola in my opinion is the Cy Young this year,” Phillies manager Gabe Kapler told MLB.com “Of course, Nola is our guy. I watch him every time out there and just the dependability, the consistency http://www.bluejaysfanproshop.com/authentic-aledmys-diaz-jersey , the creativity, the numbers. The numbers speak for themselves.”Nola and Scherzer are tied for the second-best ERA in the NL. New York Mets right-hander Jacob deGrom, the other pitcher in the Cy Young conversation, has the only better ERA at 1.71. Nola is tied for second in the National League in WHIP (0.97), third in innings pitched (169) and tied for fifth in strikeouts (169). Scherzer leads the league in all three of those categories.Going for his third straight NL Cy Young win and fourth trophy overall, Scherzer has posted dominant numbers in 2018. He has 244 strikeouts, 181 2/3 innings pitched and a 0.89 WHIP through 27 starts.He had 10 strikeouts against the Phillies on Thursday, marking the 14th time he has hit double digits this season. The only damage against the 34-year-old in his last start was a two-run homer from Odubel Herrera.“That was the one pitch that beat me,” Scherzer told MLB.com after the loss.Scherzer’s best strikeout game of the year came May 6 against the Phillies when he struck out 15 batters in 6 1/3 innings. Scherzer is 9-2 with a 2.51 ERA and 0.96 WHIP in 16 career starts against Philadelphia.Nola, meanwhile, has a 3.57 career ERA against the Nationals, and he has limited them to three earned runs in three starts (21 2/3 innings) this season. The 25-year-old also has a perfect record at home this season. Nola is 9-0 with a 2.00 ERA and 10 strikeouts per nine innings at Citizens Bank Park.The Phillies, who are 41-23 at home this season, have lost 12 of their last 18 games and are 3 1/2 games back in the division for the first time since June 26.The Nationals (66-66) are 13-13 in August and eight games behind Atlanta.
elaine95

Wróć do Ksiegarnia logopedyczna