LANDOVER

LANDOVER

Postautor: chenyan94 » 17 wrz 2019, o 03:44

Jonathan Allen Jersey , Md. (AP) — All games and no practice reps make Alex Smith a dull quarterback.Injuries to receivers Jamison Crowder and Paul Richardson and running backs Adrian Peterson and Chris Thompson have kept them from getting work in with Smith at practice and stunted the Washington Redskins‘ passing game so far this season. The NFC East-leading Redskins have run all over opponents with a banged-up Peterson, boasted a much-improved defense and is only missing the kind of effective passing game they’ll see Sunday when they host Matt Ryan and the Atlanta Falcons.“I think the success for a lot of NFL teams is if you can stop the run, and you can run the ball and control the clock, you’ve got a chance to win some games. We’ve been able to do all three,” Thompson said. “The passing game has been up and down. It’s been slow. We’ve been without our full group of receivers for a little bit of time. … We just have to find a way to do a better job.”Smith and the Redskins (5-2) have averaged 212.7 yards in the air, and only three teams have fewer passing touchdowns than their eight. They won’t have Crowder again this week as he’ll miss his fourth consecutive game with an ankle injury.Atlanta (3-4) has been battered by injuries to both starting guards and safeties, running back Devonta Freeman and linebacker Deion Jones and as a result hasn’t lived up to preseason expectations. Ryan has held up his end of the bargain with 15 touchdowns and two interceptions and leads the NFL with 333.6 yards a game with the benefit of a receiving corps of Julio Jones, Mohamed Sanu and rookie Calvin Ridley.“He’s obviously done a tremendous job of reading defenses and putting a lot of different guys in advantageous situations,” tight end Austin Hooper said. “That’s just a credit to the work Matt’s put in all year. If he keeps it going, good things will come.”That’s also the Redskins’ message to Smith, who also has thrown only two picks and been solid at managing the ball even if the yards haven’t piled up. Smith doesn’t believe he has been too cautious, but acknowledges the passing game has to be far more effective in certain areas.“The ones that stand out though are the situational stuff, the third downs that you don’t convert because they would have given you a whole other rack of opportunities,” Smith said. “The red zone, obviously because it’s so vital. I think the situational stuff always tends to jump out when you don’t execute, because of its magnitude.”Washington is 22nd in the league on third down and 25th in the red zone. Those particular failings speak to Smith still needing to get in sync with tight end Jordan Reed, Crowder, Richardson and Josh Doctson in his first year with the Redskins.With so many missed opportunities at practice because of injuries, Smith said one of the biggest hurdles is he and receivers reading the same coverage from a defense and being on the same page.“There is really a premium on both the receiver and quarterbacks seeing the same thing and reacting to it the same way, and I think that’s the hard part,” Smith said. “There are times when it is cut and dried, when it’s pure zone and we’re spacing the field and timing routes and there are times when it’s purely man and you just beat him. But a lot of times, it’s a blend of the two and I think you’ve got to see the same thing, react to it the same way.”Some things to watch when the Falcons visit the Redskins:PETERSON TIMEBlips in the passing game have made it all the more valuable that Peterson is still running strong at 33. Peterson has rushed for 587 yards and four touchdowns through seven games and is the most important piece of Washington’s offense.“He’s playing so well right now, when we call a running play, he better be out there,” coach Jay Gruden said. “I expect him to be a major part of our offense moving forward. He has to be right now, the way we are throwing the ball.”JULIO HISTORYJones needs 134 yards receiving in his 102nd career game to become the fastest to 10,000. He’s averaging 116 yards a game as part of a deep group of Falcons receivers the Redskins are concerned about.“They get open, they separate, they go up and get the ball Charles Mann Jersey ,” Washington linebacker Zach Brown said. “It’s just hard to have corners to deal with that.”CLINTON-DIX DEBUTWhile the Falcons stood pat at Tuesday’s trade deadline, the Redskins acquired safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix from Green Bay for a fourth-round pick. The combination of Clinton-Dix and D.J. Swearinger, who had two interceptions last week against the Giants, gives Washington arguably the best duo of safeties in the league.“I came here to play,” Clinton-Dix said. “I came here to work. Even if that’s on special teams, I’m just helping contribute to this team any way I can, because No. 20 is going to be suited up this weekend, and you can bet that.”ROAD WOESPart of Atlanta’s rough road so far this season has been an 0-2 record on the road with a close loss at Philadelphia and a blowout one at Pittsburgh. The same offense that has put up over 32 points a game at home has managed just over two touchdowns on the road.“The biggest issue is cadence, or the lack thereof, in the ability to hear,” Hooper said. “It’s just in understanding the subtle, nonverbal signals that allow you to play fast.” TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Washington yielded 501 yards and forced Tampa Bay to punt once all day.Sounds like a blueprint for a lopsided loss, yet there the Redskins were in the visiting locker room Sunday celebrating a 16-3 victory that kept them alone atop the NFC East.That’s what four takeaways, three of them foiling scoring opportunities, will do for a team that struggles to score points.Article continues below ...“We gave up some yards. They had great time of possession and some great drives, but we were able to keep them out of the end zone,” coach Jay Gruden said. “You’ve got to keep playing until the drives are over, and good things will happen. We did that.”Alex Smith threw for 178 yards and one touchdown, while Dustin Hopkins kicked three field goals for the Redskins (6-3), who improved their turnover differential to plus-11 and rebounded from a 38-14 loss to Atlanta despite playing with a makeshift offensive line because of mounting injuries.“I promise you this: If we were even or minus-11, we wouldn’t be 6-3,” Gruden said. “It’s been the difference so far. It’s why we are where we are.”Smith, who was 19 of 27 with no interceptions, threw 6 yards to Josh Doctson for the game’s only touchdown early in the fourth quarter.Hopkins kicked field goals of 43, 43 and 26 yards, the last set up by Greg Stroman’s fourth-quarter interception and 24-yard return to the Bucs 14.“You can (give up) 1,000 yards, but if you get the ‘W,’ three points, it really doesn’t matter Colt McCoy Jersey ,” Washington cornerback Josh Norman said. “It goes down in the stat sheet, but the only stat that matters is the ‘W.’ “Ryan Fitzpatrick threw for 406 yards for Tampa Bay (3-6), but was intercepted twice and lost a fumble on a sack inside the Washington 10.The Bucs, who have the NFL’s top passing attack and are second in total offense, fell to 1-3 in games they’ve gained 500-plus yards this season.Just as discouraging for coach Dirk Koetter and his players: Tampa Bay, which has lost three in a row and six of seven following a 2-0 start, failed to force a turnover on defense for the sixth straight game.“”Four-zero in turnover margin is going to kill you every time,” Koetter said. “We had a lot of chances. … We weren’t good enough today, and that’s plain to see.”Meanwhile, three of their four giveaways thwarted scoring opportunities, including Jacquizz Rodgers‘ fumble on a reception that rolled 18 yards into the Washington end zone, where it was recovered by safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix for a touchback.The Redskins were outgained 279 yards to 136 in the first two quarters, yet led 6-3 at halftime after getting two field goals from Hopkins.The Bucs moved into Redskins’ territory on all five of their first-half possessions, but had little to show after Norman made a leaping interception on the goal line of a pass intended for Chris Godwin, and Chandler Catanzaro missed a 30-yard field goal.Catanzaro, who’s missed four field goals and four extra points through nine games, also had a 47-yarder sail wide right early in the second half.“I feel bad for my teammates. I’m just not performing well enough right now for this team,” said Catanzaro, whose 33-yarder in the second quarter accounted for all of Tampa Bay scoring. “Right now they’re not going through (the uprights). I’ve done my best to fix it up until now and it hasn’t been fixed.”BIG NUMBERSFitzpatrick completed 29 of 41 passes and topped 400 yards passing for the fourth time this season. He was sacked twice.Rodgers finished with eight receptions for 102 yards for Tampa Bay. Godwin had seven catches for 100 yards.INJURIESRedskins: With Trent Williams recovering from surgery on his right thumb, Ty Nsekhe started at left tackle along with guards Jonathan Cooper and Tony Bergstrom, replacements for Shawn Lauvao and Brandon Scherff, who were lost for the season against the Falcons. Cornerback Quinton Dunbar (shin) also missed the game, with Fabian Moreau filling in.Buccaneers: Played without defensive end Vinny Curry for the third time in four games. Safety Justin Evans (toe) left in the second quarter and linebacker Lavonte David (knee) departed in the third, though both returned.PATCHED-UP LINEWashington’s patchwork offensive line held up fairly well. Washington rushed for 116 yards, with Adrian Peterson helping run out the clock and finishing with 68 yards rushing on 19 carries.Smith was sacked three times, but thought the group performed well under the circumstances.“It wasn’t like there was a ton that was off-limits, and I think that’s a credit to those guys and how they were playing,” Smith said.“Certainly you wanted to get them into the flow of the game and that took a little bit,” the quarterback added. “But I thought in the second half, we were able to get into that rhythm and we were able to execute.”UP NEXTRedskins: Home vs. Houston next Sunday.Buccaneers: at New York Giants next Sunday.
chenyan94

Wróć do Polskie Towarzystwo Logopedyczne Oddział Śląski